Chargers Top Power Rankings After Week 5
The NFL power rankings look a whole lot different this week. And no, we haven't gone crazy by putting San Diego No. 1.
Using our new computerized NFL power rankings formula that dissects and crunches every team's offensive stats, defensive stats, and strength of schedule the Chargers are our new No. 1 team. In case you haven't already guessed, the new rankings formula doesn't use special teams data and we will be reviewing this in future weeks.
ADVERTISEMENT: USE POWER RANKINGS TO FIND POINT SPREAD EDGES AND MAKE BETTER BETS - THEN CHECK OUT THE BEST ODDS AND THE BEST BONUSES AT SHOPS SUCH AS Bovada TO CREATE THE BEST WAGERING EXPERIENCE.
1. San Diego – It's not a stretch to say the Chargers would likely be undefeated if their special teams weren't complete garbage.
2. NY Giants – After a pathetic start to the season the Giants are looking dangerous again with wins over Chicago and Houston.
3. Atlanta – With the Saints stumbling the Falcons look like the ones to beat in the NFC South this season.
4. Pittsburgh – Ben Roethlisberger returns this week and he should have no trouble settling in versus the Browns. Pittsburgh gets Big Ben back right on time with three straight road games coming up.
5. Dallas – Who would have thought that Dallas and Minnesota would both be 1-4 during their Week 6 contest?
6. New York Jets - LaDainian Tomlinson may end up being the top free-agent signing of the year if he keeps it up.
7 Baltimore – With Ray Rice back to full health and full speed the Baltimore offense is a balanced juggernaut. Just wait until their defense gets Ed Reed back.
8. Indianapolis – It wasn't a pretty win over Kansas City last week, but the Colts will take any win they can get right now considering how their defense is playing.
9. Philadelphia – Kevin Kolb didn't suck last week so the Eagles are still relevant. What's Andy Reid going to do now when Michael Vick is ready?
10. Cincinnati – Terrell Owens is making plenty of noise on the field. Doesn't mean much, though, if the Bengals keep losing.
11. Green Bay – The injuries just keep piling up for the Packers. Missing Aaron Rodgers for any amount of time could be a killer for a Green Bay offense already without Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley.
12. Miami – The Dolphins had better hope Chad Henne worked out his problems during the bye week.
13. Minnesota – Randy Moss couldn't stop the Vikings' ship from sinking. Maybe they need to throw Brad Childress overboard.
14. New Orleans – This week's signing of Julius Jones will return the stagnant Saints offense back to glory, right?
15. Kansas City – It had to end sometime. Can the Chiefs start a new winning streak this week on the road in Houston?
16. Tampa Bay – The Buccaneers are somehow 3-1. Can they become the latest team to upset the Saints this weekend?
17. Chicago – Even without Jay Cutler at the helm the Bears just keep winning. With the Packers looking like a hospital ward the NFC North could be ripe for the picking.
18. New England – Returning from their bye without Randy Moss the Patriots get a big test to see how good their offense is now against the Ravens.
19. Denver – The Broncos know they don't have to pass the ball on every down, right?
20. Houston – The Texans got a real wake-up call last week against the Giants. Let's see if they answer it.
21. Tennessee – It's not surprising that whenever Chris Johnson rushes for more than 100 yards this season the Titans win.
22. Oakland – It wasn't a pretty win last week against San Diego, but Raiders fans don't care.
ADVERTISEMENT: BET LIVE DURING EACH GAME - THAT'S RIGHT, BET THE NEXT PLAY WILL BE A PASS OR BET A NEW POINT SPREAD AFTER THE OPENING KICKOFF MAKES IT 7-0 RIGHT AWAY. CHECK IT OUT AT [custom:sb-sportsinteraction-textlink] AND EARN $125 FREE WHILE YOU ARE THERE.
23. Detroit – The Lions' offense roared last week in a blowout win over the Rams. That roar could be silenced if Calvin Johnson joins Matt Stafford on the sidelines.
24. Cleveland – It looks like Colt McCoy will make his first NFL start this weekend. And we thought it couldn't get worse than Jake Delhomme in Cleveland.
25. St. Louis – Despite the Rams getting crushed by Detroit last week some people are still taking playoffs in St. Louis. That shows you how bad the NFC West really is.
26. Washington – The Redskins keep pulling out surprising victories. Can they keep it up this week against the Colts?
27. Jacksonville – Maurice Jones-Drew is finally heating up, so the Jaguars' winning streak could continue on Monday night.
28. San Francisco – Alex Smith remains the starter for now is just like saying Mike Singletary remains the head coach for now.
29. Carolina – Despite making four interceptions last week the Panthers still lost 23-6. Yeah, they're real bad.
30. Buffalo – At least Bills fans won't have to suffer through another loss this week. The Bills are on a bye.
31. Seattle – Which Seahawks team shows up this week - the one that upset San Diego, or the one that got ripped by St. Louis?
32. Arizona – The Cardinals have been outscored 138-88 this season but somehow they're still 3-2. How does that work exactly?
NFL Week 6 Power Rankings By The Numbers:
*sos = strength of schedule, winning percentage of opponents in 2010
Team Power ranking SoS Adjusted Power
1. San Diego 190.9535369 0.5652 107.926939
2. NY Giants 126.44365 0.52 65.75069799
3. Atlanta 132.6520167 0.4167 55.27609536
4. Pittsburgh 73.50918366 0.7368 54.16156652
5. Dallas 71.03255251 0.65 46.17115913
6. NY Jets 99.45068285 0.4545 45.20033536
7. Baltimore 69.98481161 0.5 34.99240581
8. Indianapolis 50.538445 0.5833 29.47907497
9. Philadelphia 65.77338559 0.4 26.30935423
10. Cincinnati 40.77112221 0.4783 19.50082775
11. Green Bay 41.82281285 0.44 18.40203765
12. Miami 18.5898229 0.4444 8.261317295
13. Minnesota 14.13068711 0.5263 7.436980624
14. New Orleans 20.4486279 0.3333 6.815527679
15. Kansas City 17.82878664 0.3 5.348635991
16 Tampa Bay 10.1346412 0.3158 3.20051969
17 Chicago 0.825772773 0.3333 0.275230065
18 New England -4.05823442 0.4211 -2.349311906
19 Denver -6.816987618 0.625 -2.556370357
20 Houston -5.456246309 0.5 -2.728123155
21 Tennessee -16.09593078 0.4783 -8.397247088
22 Oakland -22.58934456 0.52 -10.84288539
23 Detroit -37.86495375 0.5417 -17.35350831
24 Cleveland -60.09056256 0.6957 -18.28555819
25 St. Louis -40.81295257 0.4583 -22.10837641
26 Washington -55.61252157 0.5 -27.80626078
27 Jacksonville -50.73085514 0.4 -30.43851308
28 San Francisco -95.10601267 0.6522 -33.07787121
29 Carolina -130.0665577 0.625 -48.77495913
30 Buffalo -162.1820113 0.6522 -56.40690352
31 Seattle -89.58817249 0.3 -62.71172074
32 Arizona -177.7047224 0.52 -85.29826673